Sunday, May 2, 2010

Psalms Mean More Than Just That


I have really liked reading Psalms, because not only are they easy to understand and sometimes to relate with, but also because they mean a lot, not only to the people who wrote them, but to God too. Psalms are chants to praise the Lord, I believe they come from the heart and that there were probably millions of them but only some made it to be in the Bible.

We read four of them, and as I was able to discover they all talk pretty much about the same things, but each ones says it in a different way.

In number 23 I really liked where it said: “Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.” (Psalms 23: 4) It gives me hope, in a way, to know that whoever wrote this was right. We usually feel alone and it´s like there is no one for us and that we don’t have anyone that really wants to listens or is there for us. There might be friends we can trust, but there are situations where there is nothing they can do to make us feel better. God is always there for us, and I bet that he loves us and wants us to know that he knows everything and that if we pray to him and tell him how we feel he will answer our prayers and make us feel much better, in a way he is a friend.

We might wonder once in a while like number 42, “Where is thy God? ... Why hast thou forgotten me,” (Psalms 42: 3, 9) But he has never left, only maybe if have actually done something extremely bad, but we just have to “hope in God.” (Psalms 42: 11) For he is God after all.

We are not perfect and therefore we sometimes do things that aren’t the best ones, but we can always repent and try to be even better. Those things happen so we can learn from our mistakes and maybe someday be better. “For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me. Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.” (Psalms 52: 3, 10)

The one I didn’t really get was number 137, the only part I was able to kind of understand was “How shall we sing the LORD's song in a strange land?” (Psalms 137: 4) I think this is interesting, and makes me think that these people were probably scared to sing in a different country or something, so they decided to write them down and then that was how the Psalms started to become a book. I am not completely sure about it, but we will probably find out later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment