Tuesday, April 27, 2010

And David Continues to Amaze Me

Reading more about his life has helped to believe that there is a lot to do if I ever be one of Gods A-list. I don’t know exactly what it is, but I really like David and the way we can relate to him. No, I don’t have enemies, but there are people that I don’t really like and in 2 Samuel 19: 6 “In that thou lovest thine enemies, and hatest thy friends.” It seems almost impossible, but I think that if we at least try, God will help us. What I don’t get is the part of hating our friends… Why is that even there? Shouldn’t it be more like love your friends and your enemies, it confuses me, and it makes me disagree with the Bible.

Reading more about David made me think about all the things that we had to do, like his mission in life. Talking about mission and life, I believe we are all different and therefore all of us have different missions or things we have come (to this world) to accomplish. It might seem as people in the old days (Bible days) had bigger missions than the ones we have now a days, but we live in different periods and that’s why we have different tasks or challenges.

One of the things I liked the most about David was the way he felt about God. There are different perspectives or believes in God. Some religions suggest he is you, like in yourself, others think he is just a superior being, and so on. I believe pretty much what David believed, that he actually is out there, that he loves us and cares for us, he is our strength and protects us. “LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer… he is my shield, the horn of my salvation, my high tower, my refuge, my savior.” (2 Samuel 22: 1-6)

Wow. That is such (I can´t describe) thing to say. And then he continues saying how he was able to survive his enemies thanks to him and not like Job, his prayers were answers, “In my distress I called upon the LORD, and cried to my God: and he did hear my voice out of his temple, and my cry did enter into his ears.” (2 Samuel 22: 7) Here we see how he was so blessed and favored because of being such a great guy, or as he said it: “The LORD rewarded me according to my righteousness: according to the cleanness of my hands hath he recompensed me.” (2 Samuel 22: 21)

Something else I really like about him is the way that he reacts when he makes a mistake, instead of hiding it like most of us would, he tells God and in a way asks for punishment. “And David spake unto the LORD… and said, Lo, I have sinned, and I have done wickedly: but these sheep, what have they done? Let thine hand, I pray thee, be against me, and against my father's house.” (2 Samuel 24: 17) Even though bringing down a punishment for all his father’s house seems like something big, to make up for probably a small mistake, I think it shows how sorry he was and how important it was to him to have God´s total trust and protection around him. So at the end, to make sure things were perfect again between him and God, he built him and altar and offered various things to him, and guess what, it worked.

No comments:

Post a Comment