Monday, May 24, 2010

Learning to Fish and Farm


I had imagined Mark to be somewhat different to Matthew, but it actually stayed pretty much the same, specially because the same things are said, only they are said from someone else’s point of view. There were some teachings that seemed clear this time. I don’t know if it was because it was the second time reading them, or if it was because it was Mark and not Matthew and therefore shorter and probably easier to understand.

“And Jesus said unto them, Come ye after me, and I will make you to become fishers of men.” (Mark 1: 17) I hadn’t really thought about this before, but now that I think about it, it makes sense. Jesus wanted us to follow him and back then, for that to happen he had his disciples and because it was at the start of everything there was probably not that many believes as we have now. He wanted to make the people that followed him some sort of missionaries to help him bring the truth or the way to their lives, they wanted to catch them just like fishermen do.


Something that I was able to understand was the parable of the sower, who when he had started to sow some of the seeds “fell by the side way”, others were blown with the wind, others landed on the rocky ground, with no earth, others were burned in the sun. Others “fell among thorns”, and yet others “fell on good ground” and was able to grow and “bring forth fruit.” (Mark 4:7-11) At first I was confused, what did all these lucky and unlucky seeds mean?

Well, first of all the “The sower soweth the word.” The seeds I believe represent the people, and many of the seeds that were on the side or have been blown with the wind are the ones that are have been confused by Satan. Others are like the ones that have heard the word but just don’t feel like following it, or even paying attention. The ones that have no roots are like the ones that have decided not to forget what they have heard and believe is true, but are I think, in a way scared of what might happen. Then, there are also others that do follow the word and are able to get the best from it and even share it with others and therefore are able to help many others. (Mark 4: 14- 20)

Until now I think I have been able to understand much more from Mark than from Matthew. I think that all this is actually really interesting. I really like how Jesus teaches through stories that help people remember more and understand what he really means.

No comments:

Post a Comment