Monday, April 26, 2010

Something So Big From Someone So Small


Samuel is much more different than what I had imagined it would be. I thought it would be much easier to understand, but the truth was that it was a bit more complicated. I believe it’s because it was probably written by a different person. Anyways, I was still able to learn some things such as the story of David. I remember hearing the story of David and Goliath endless times, and never imagined someone could get so much from it.

It´s actually really interesting, how a “giant” comes to a city and threatens its people by saying “choose you a man for you, and let him come down to me. If he be able to fight with me, and to kill me, then will we be your servants: but if I prevail against him, and kill him, then shall ye be our servants, and serve us.” (1 Samuel 17:8-9). It´s surprising for someone to trust themselves so much that they actually believe that they are so big and strong that no one can defeat them, and yet talk about their own death.

David was practically just a small boy, but with huge faith, and he was the one to stand up against Goliath and actually defeated him because he believed that the Lord was with him, and eventually he was, for he was able to win. This also made me think on how sometimes small things can have great effects, such as David, that just by throwing a small rock he was able to kill such a huge thing and make a difference to a whole city that was able to survive thanks to him.

After David, being such a great guy and doing so much, Saul who used to be nice to him decided he wanted to kill him. I really didn’t understand why, but he did. I think he was probably jealous because he was the one that was supposed to be remembered as the one who was able to beat Goliath, but wasn’t.

This makes David have to escape and run away as much as possible so he isn’t killed. This isn’t something really that great… why run away after being considered the hero? Jonathan, Saul´s son seemed to be the only one that really cared for him, and he cared so much that “he loved him as he loved his own soul.” (1 Samuel 20: 17) that is just immeasurable, it´s kind of weird, because they´re both guys, but it´s probably like Enkidu and Gilgamesh who were companions and that they meant so much for each other that it was as if it was themselves. The way they cared for each other was so big that they trusted each others and would say “The LORD be between me and thee, and between my seed and thy seed for ever.” (1 Samuel 20: 42)now, that’s something we don’t see every day.

All this makes me ponder on Gods judgments. It seems in a way unfair that there are such good people as Jonathan and others as mean as Saul. But in Samuel 24: 15 I was able to learn that “The LORD therefore be judge, and judge between me and thee, and see, and plead my cause, and deliver me out of thine hand.” That if he really is a judge he must be a just judge. This has led me to answering one of the questions, some good things happens to good people and bad people, and bad things happen to both good and bad. “That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust” (Matthew 5: 45) it really depends on how we acts, we are free to decide, and God is there to judge and therefore help us once in a while.

Well, as everyone else David once fell in love and married someone he cared for. And as every other story, there was war. This time it was between the Philistines and Israel and to me it was totally wild. Women, sons and daughters were taken captives, the city was burned, and there were great disasters. “David and the people that were with him lifted up their voice and wept, until they had no more power to weep.” (1 Samuel 30: 4) One of the most tragic deaths was Jonathans and his father Saul´s and even though it was sad, and tragic just like any other death, the truth was that it had happened. Death is something that will come to everyone, and it usually is in moments where we least expected them to happen, but I really like how they were remembered, “Saul and Jonathan were lovely and pleasant in their lives, and in their death they were not divided: they were swifter than eagles, they were stronger than lions.” (2 Samuel 1: 23)

This makes me think of how I want to be remembered. Sometimes I wonder “What am I leaving, when I'm done here… When my time comes, forget the wrong that I've done, help me leave behind some reasons to be missed… And don't resent me… Keep me in your memory” (Leave Out All The Rest, by Linkin Park). As much as we might love for others to forget some of the things we have done wrong, many wont, that’s why we should try to live the best we can. We don’t know when we will die, so we have to make great things that will make us be remembered. How to you want to be remembered?

No comments:

Post a Comment