Sunday, April 25, 2010

God´s Wisdom and Job´s Understanding



All this is a little complicated, and the reason why it is, I believe is because Job has so much in mind, and personally, I think I understand him, I mean, how can you not have too much to think about after knowing you have so much to do after all the things God expects from you and all the peer pressure he was from his “friends”.

He ponders on the difference between wisdom and understanding, and once you think about it they are actually two completely different concepts. Wisdom is pretty much like what God has, total knowledge and knowing it all. On the other hand, understanding can be when you understand what things are, it doesn’t necessarily mean you have knowledge, but it´s more as if you actually know what it´s about. Even though they are different, the two are linked. How can you have wisdom if you don’t understand? But how can there be understanding if there is no knowledge, or in other words wisdom?

While writing this, I felt I agreed with Job, “Whence then cometh wisdom? And where is the place of understanding?” (Job 28:20) this is interesting, we don’t really question ourselves where all this comes from, and simply imagine it just is. But as always, Job has an explanation, and even though I don’t fully agree with this, it´s a possibility, “The fear of the Lord, that is wisdom; and to depart from evil is understanding” (Job 28: 28).

As it said in Job 12: 13 “With him is wisdom and strength, he hath counsel and understanding” (obviously talking about God). Then they talk about in a way, an example of what God was doing to the nations “He increaseth the nations, and destroyeth them: he enlargeth the nations, and straiteneth them again” (Job 12: 23) this is interesting, and it has made me think, was God being understanding or was he actually being wise and doing all this for the best. I think that most of the time things we don’t understand why they happen happen. The only one that knows why is God and he is there to help us and show us the right way to go through those tough times.

In these chapters, I have also been able to get to know Job much better. After believing he was Gods favorite one we realize how he actually feels about all this and how it even seems as if he wished things were different. “My friends scorn me: but mine eye poureth out tears unto God” (Job 16:20). This is so sad, poor Job, it´s like the people that are closer to God are tested more and much harder that anyone else. In Jobs case, was not only that his friends hated him and bullied him, but he also felt alone, because not only was now friendless, but now he felt his prayers were never answered and that no matter how much hope he had nothing would happen. In his own words: , “I cry out of wrong, but I am not heard: I cry aloud, but there is no judgment. My kinsfolk have failed, and my familiar friends have forgotten me…And where is now my hope? As for my hope, who shall see it” (Job17:15, 19: 7 and 19: 14).

Job is a really noble guy, he didn’t really complain as much as much as I would and in a way he never gave up, for he deeply believed that he was “clean without transgression, I am innocent; neither is there iniquity in me” (Job 33: 9) and therefore wouldn’t give up because he knew that maybe someday he would be greatly blessed by God after having gone through so much. He knew that God was just and that he shouldn’t fear him or all that was happening to him, because he thought that he was “wise at heart” and therefore would help him endure.

No comments:

Post a Comment